Town of Elmore, Vermont

Town of Elmore, Vermont


Land development in the Town of Elmore is controlled by two sets of regulations:

  1. The Elmore Zoning Bylaws
  2. The Elmore Sub-division Regulations

The Elmore Zoning Administrator is responsible for upholding these regulations, including:

  • Assistance in filling out necessary applications
  • Issuing permits for Permitted Uses
  • Scheduling hearings before the Development Review Board for Conditional Uses and Subdivisions
  • Maintaining proper records of all actions taken

Land Development is defined as:

  • the division of a parcel into two or more parcels
  • the construction, reconstruction, conversion, structural alteration, relocation or enlargement of any existing building or structure
  • any mining, excavation, or landfill
  • any change in use of any existing building or other structure land or extension of use of lands

The Town of Elmore is divided into six Zoning Districts, each with a distinct set of Dimensional and Development standards:

  • Village District(VLG)
  • Rural East District(RE)
  • Rural West District(RW)
  • Forest Reserve District(FR)
  • Shoreland District(SHR)
  • Flood Hazard Area Overlay(FLD)

Additionally, Elmore is home to numerous wetland areas that effect potential development.

It is the responsibility of the landowner or developer to ascertain whether or not a Zoning or Subdivision Permit is required for any particular project. It is advisable to contact the Zoning Administrator prior to the commencement of any project to see if a Permit is required. Violations of the Zoning or Subdivision Regulations subject the offender to fines and restoration of the property to pre-project status.

All necessary forms, as well as copies of the Zoning Bylaws and Subdivision Regulations can be downloaded from the forms page on this web site.